Fried Baby Artichokes
These are nice and crisp. Great to dip in you favorite horseradish sauce.
- Ready In:
- 1 lemon, halved
- 12 baby artichokes
- 3 cups olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- sea salt
- Fill a large bowl halfway with water; squeeze the lemon halves into the water and add the lemons.
- Trim the stem of 1 artichoke; starting at the base, bend the tough outer leaves back and pull off where they break naturally.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel the dark green skin from the base.
- Halve the artichoke lengthwise and scoop out any choke.
- Add to the lemon water.
- Repeat with the remaining artichokes.
- Heat the oil in a heavy large saucepan over medium heat until a thermometer registers 350 degrees F.
- Drain the artichokes and pat dry.
- Mix spices into flour in a ziplock bag; add artichoke and shake to coat.
- Working in 2 batches, add the artichokes to the hot oil and cook until they are tender and golden brown, about 8 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon or tongs, transfer the fried artichokes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with salt while artichokes are still warm and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION