Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Per a request here is my favorite hush puppie recipe to go with fried fish.
- vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups white cornmeal
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet (about 2- 2 1/2 inches of oil) until hot.
- Beat the egg and then mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Make sure that your dry ingredients are all moist.
- Using a tablespoon, drop balls of batter into the hot oil, about 2 inches long by 1 inch thick.
- NOTE: I usually only cook about 4 or 5 at a time.
- These should float in the hot oil, but not be covered by it.
- You will need to turn these as they cook.
- Fry until they are a golden brown and then drain them on paper towels.
- Serve with fish- of course!
This little cornbread treats are a true Southern delight. I made mine with chopped green onions (the recipe call for onions) for a little color in these golden balls. They fried up nicely and were a nice treat with pinto beans. Absolutely worth going to the extra effort of frying!! Thanks, MG, for a wonderful Southern, country treat.
Very good. I added some garlic (just because I like it) and a little parsley for color. We really enjoyed them. The DH said it reminded him of Grandmas in Georgia. Thanks MG.
I was so happy to find this recipe. I was raised in south Georgia, and besides not including finely diced celery, this is exactly like the ones my Grandma used to make. Thanks MysteryGirl