Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I watched Clair Robinson from TV's "5 Ingredient Fix" make this today and decided I needed to try it. I totally LOVED it. It is so creamy and so good! I couldn't wait and dove right in..... burned my tongue, but soooo worth it! This would be a huge hit at a brunch.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Brown sausage in a pan. Drain on paper towel and reserve the grease.
- While the sausage is browning, bring three cups of water and one cup of half and half to a boil.
- Pour one cup of grits into a bowl of water and then simply tilt the bowl and pour the water and floating bits off into the sink. Scoop drained grits into the boiling milk/water mixture.
- Whisk boiling grits for 5 minutes and then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, continue whisking. Season with salt if you'd like and a few cranks of the pepper mill.
- In between whisks, use the rendered sausage fat to grease 4 large individual ramekins, (gratin dishes or individual cast iron pots work too) and arrange them on a rimmed sheet tray.
- Divide creamy grits between the prepared baking dishes and top each with sausage and grated Gruyere. Make a divot in the mixture to nest the egg.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl and slide into the divot you made. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Bake until the egg whites are almost, but not fully set, about 10 to 15 minutes. For more well-done eggs, bake until the whites are set.