Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adapted from Roopa Kalyanaraman. If you are an eggplant fan, this will really turn you on. If you’re not, this will make you one. Cooked completely in the microwave, you can have this dish on the table in 15 minutes! Served with steamed rice, it's a great vegetarian meal.
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon chickpea flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 dash asafoetida powder
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened dried shredded coconut
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 2 teaspoons tamarind paste
- 2 medium eggplant
- chopped fresh cilantro leaves (to garnish)
- In a bowl, mix oil, chickpea flour, turmeric and asafetida. Heat on high in microwave for 90 seconds, stopping to stir halfway through. In another bowl, heat coconut on high for 90 seconds, stirring halfway through. Add coconut, ginger, salt and tamarind to chickpea mixture.
- Rinse and dry eggplant, trim off ends, and cut into 1-inch slices. Score one side of each slice in several places. Spread and press spice mixture into gashes, then put eggplant into a dish. Partly cover (waxed paper works) and heat on high for 6 minutes. Uncover and cook on high for 2 or 3 minutes, until very soft. Garnish with cilantro. Serve hot or warm.