Recipe by Random Rachel
Tastes exactly like the real thing! I miss my sweets, and I got to thinking, you can have everything in pumpkin pie except the cream, sugar, and crust. All of those ingredients are very easy to substitute for, and tada--delicious pumpkin pie on the south beach diet, phases 1-3! I actually normally made my pumpkin pies this way, with real sugar instead of Splenda. Pumpkin isn't listed in the book anywhere, but its a squash like zucchini so its OK (or you could make a zucchini pie, or butternut, or crook neck or... I think I'll stick with pumpkin:)
Top Review by Mom2MMCJ
My family loved this! I did not use the tortilla and added a dash of cloves. I also used 1/3 cup Stevia & 1/3 cup Xylitol in place of the splenda, because we don't use artificial sweeteners. Next time I'll add a full cup of sweetener to make it more dessert-like.
- 1 (15 ounce) canplain pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs, blended
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 low-fat whole wheat tortilla (omit during phase 1)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and pumpkin in a mixing bowl. Add the Splenda, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate, and place tortilla in bottom to act as crust -or- just grease an 8x8-inch Pyrex pan (I prefer it without the crust.).
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pan, and bake for 45-50 minutes till a knife comes out clean.
- Delicious cold or hot. You can make 'mock' whipped cream by whipping a little bit of the leftover evaporated milk with some Splenda, but it's not the same as the real stuff.