Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Tastes exactly like the real thing! I miss my sweets, and I got to thinking, you can have everything in pumpkin pie except the cream, sugar, and crust. All of those ingredients are very easy to substitute for, and tada--delicious pumpkin pie on the south beach diet, phases 1-3! I actually normally made my pumpkin pies this way, with real sugar instead of Splenda. Pumpkin isn't listed in the book anywhere, but its a squash like zucchini so its OK (or you could make a zucchini pie, or butternut, or crook neck or... I think I'll stick with pumpkin:)
- 1 (15 ounce) canplain pumpkin or 2 cups fresh pumpkin puree
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda granular
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 eggs, blended
- 2⁄3 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 low-fat whole wheat tortilla (omit during phase 1)
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Combine the eggs, milk, and pumpkin in a mixing bowl. Add the Splenda, nutmeg, ginger, and cinnamon.
- Grease a 9 inch pie plate, and place tortilla in bottom to act as crust -or- just grease an 8x8-inch Pyrex pan (I prefer it without the crust.).
- Pour pumpkin mixture into pan, and bake for 45-50 minutes till a knife comes out clean.
- Delicious cold or hot. You can make 'mock' whipped cream by whipping a little bit of the leftover evaporated milk with some Splenda, but it's not the same as the real stuff.
My family loved this! I did not use the tortilla and added a dash of cloves. I also used 1/3 cup Stevia & 1/3 cup Xylitol in place of the splenda, because we don't use artificial sweeteners. Next time I'll add a full cup of sweetener to make it more dessert-like.
I made this exactly as it was written. It was ok but I think a few changes would make it a lot better... It definitely needed to be sweeter - I would add more Splenda (maybe 1/8-1/4 cup) and more cinnamon. The seasoning was too subtle for me. I will not use ginger next time. I served it with sugar free cool whip which was the perfect touch. I will definitely make it again with the changes mentioned above.
Great pie! I made this today and it's really good. I'm not big into pumpkin pies, but this one was more custard like, but still held together well enough to get out of the pie plate in slices. I did up the Splenda per reviews, but it made it a bit too sweet, so next time I'll do what I should have done and follow the recipe. ;-) I also sprinkled about a tablespoon of sugar free candied pecans and a big handful of bacon crumbles on one half and pressed them in before baking. Sounds weird, I know, but bacon goes amazingly well with pumpkin. Not sure if the milk is going to spike my blood sugar, as I'm diabetic, but if it does, I might try this with soy next time. Thanks for sharing!