Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is from the S.B.D. cookbook. A phase 1 recipe.
- 2 teaspoons Smart Balance butter spread
- 1⁄2 cup onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, sliced
- 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup liquid egg substitute
- 1⁄2 cup 1% fat cottage cheese
- 1⁄4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 3⁄4 ounce reduced-fat monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Coat an ovenproof 10" skillet with cooking spray and place over medium low heat until hot. Melt the Smart Balance in the skillet.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, and zucchini and saute over medium-low heat until the vegetables are lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil and black pepper tpo the skillet and stir to combine. Cook until the flavors are blended, 2 - 3 minutes, and remove from heat.
- Preheat the broiler. In a blender, combine the egg substitute, cottage cheese, and milk. Process until smooth. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on medium low heat until bottom is set and the top is still slightly wet, 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer the skillet to the broiler and broil until the top is set, 2 - 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the cheese and broil until the cheese melts.
Wow. I thought this was delicious. I didn't change a thing. Will certainly make it again.
I left out the monterey cheese and used regular milk, this is GREAT! Nice and filling and the cottage cheese gives a nice flavor.
Found this delicious breakfast to be very easy to make, but then I'm one who doesn't yet mind the dicing & slicing, & by hand, even! Even went the whole healthy route for a change! Because of the red tomato, & for some additional color, I used an orange bell pepper instead of the red one! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]