Recipe by Baby Kato
This recipe is from a website called South African Traditional Recipes and has been posted here for the ZWT-7 Tour of South Africa. It sounds excellent.
Top Review by UmmBinat
Really good. I love eggplant. DD1 (4 years old) and I enjoyed it. DH supposedly hates eggplant so he didn't try it. I followed the recipe exactly using sea salt to taste. I may make this again. Made for PAC Spring 12.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs eggplants
- 1 bell pepper, red
- 1⁄3 cucumber, English
- 1⁄4 red onion, small
- 1⁄2 garlic, clove, small
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, extra virgin
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, fresh
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Directions See How It's Made
- To roast the eggplants, preheat a charcoal or gas grill or a broiler.
- Roast the eggplants, turning as needed, until the skin is charred on all sides, the time will vary depending on the cooking method you use.
- The eggplant is cooked when it is soft and looks somewhat deflated.
- Place the eggplant on a plate to cool.
- Trim and seed the red pepper, then cut into 1/4-inch dice.
- Cut the cucumber lengthwise in half, scoop out the seeds with a spoon, and cut into ¼-inch dice.
- Peel and finely chop the onion.
- Peel and finely chop the garlic.
- Once the eggplant is cool enough to handle, remove as much of the skin as possible along with any large dark seeds.
- Cut the eggplant into 1-inch squares and place it in a colander in the sink or over a bowl for 5 to 10 minutes to allow excess liquid to drain, set aside until needed.
- Transfer the eggplant to a serving dish and add the red pepper, cucumber, onion and garlic.
- Stir in the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or the salt will draw out too much moister from the vegetables.