Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Posted for the Zaar Tour 2006. The recipe specifies that this should be served with "cream sauce" but does not give the recipe for that. I suggested sweetened cream or warm custard.
- Buy one those slabs of un-iced cake in a supermarket for this.
- Pour the warm milk over the cake crumbs and leave for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg. Celsius.
- Whisk milk mixture to make sure there are no clumps. You could put it in a processor to get a really smooth mixture.
- Add all the other ingredients to the milk mixture.
- Mix well, and pour into either greased individual bowls, or into a large greased oven dish.
- Place the bowl(s) in a pan with water (which comes about 1/3 up the sides) and bake about 40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Turn out and serve with a cream or butter sauce. (Whatever that means. I copied this from "Cook and Enjoy It", the South African cooking bible!).
This was delish and a perfect discovery for using up that last bit of cake that has gone a bit dry - i used banana cake so did not add the mashed banana but I did chop a punnet of strawberries through as I love the colour and taste of cooked strawberries - thanks Zurie for this recipe - my DD's thought this was a fantastic dessert !!