Recipe by Zurie
Posted for the Zaar Tour 2006. The recipe specifies that this should be served with "cream sauce" but does not give the recipe for that. I suggested sweetened cream or warm custard.
Top Review by katew
This was delish and a perfect discovery for using up that last bit of cake that has gone a bit dry - i used banana cake so did not add the mashed banana but I did chop a punnet of strawberries through as I love the colour and taste of cooked strawberries - thanks Zurie for this recipe - my DD's thought this was a fantastic dessert !!
- 2 cups warm milk
- 1 cup cake crumbs (from any yellow cake such as a sponge cake)
- 1⁄2 cup mashed banana
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Buy one those slabs of un-iced cake in a supermarket for this.
- Pour the warm milk over the cake crumbs and leave for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F/180 deg. Celsius.
- Whisk milk mixture to make sure there are no clumps. You could put it in a processor to get a really smooth mixture.
- Add all the other ingredients to the milk mixture.
- Mix well, and pour into either greased individual bowls, or into a large greased oven dish.
- Place the bowl(s) in a pan with water (which comes about 1/3 up the sides) and bake about 40 minutes or until set.
- Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.
- Turn out and serve with a cream or butter sauce. (Whatever that means. I copied this from "Cook and Enjoy It", the South African cooking bible!).