Prep1 hr 50 mins
While searching the web looking for Schlotzsky's Sourdough Bread recipe I came across this on King Arthur's site. I think it's very close to the roll that they use on their original muffaletta sandwich. They are scrumptious and so easy to make! They're somewhere between a roll and an english muffin. Note that their direction require baking in english muffin rings (or similar).
- Mix all of the ingredients together -- by hand, mixer, or in a bread machine or food processor -- just until the dough comes together; it will remain slightly sticky and soft.
- Remove dough from bowl onto a well-floured surface, and let it rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough into a 16 1/2 x 8 1/2-inch rectangle approximately 1/3 to 1/2-inch thick.
- Cut it into eight 3 3/4-inch (approximately) circles.
- Dust a baking sheet with cornmeal; grease the English muffin rings (or other round, metal rings approximately 3 3/4 inches in diameter), and place them on the baking sheet.
- Fill each ring with a piece of dough; sprinkle the tops with cornmeal.
- Place a baking sheet on top of the rings and dough, and let the buns rise for 40 minutes.
- Bake the buns in a preheated 375°F oven for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're lightly browned top and bottom.
- Remove them from the oven.
- After cooling for 10 minutes, remove rings move to wire rack.
I have had this recipe saved forever, but didn't have the starter. I finally made a batch of Sourdough Bread Starter in order to have starter ready for the RSC contest recipes & used this recipe for my first try with it. The buns are fantastic! I can only imagine how good they will be as my starter ages. They are light, fluffy in texture, but still a good hoagie bun and bake up beautifully. Schlotzskys is my husband's favorite sandwich so he was very happy & has already requested more buns. I didn't bother with the rings and simply handformed the dough into approx 6" buns. They were terrific loaded with olive spread, ham, salami, & 2 cheeses. Thank you for sharing the recipe!
I make a very similar recipe for buns. Love it.