Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs 30 mins
This is an unusual side dish, but oh so delicious. I received this recipe from my mother-in-law, who makes it for birthday or other special occasion requests. Cook time includes chilling.
- 1 cup raw long grain rice (not minute)
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
- 1 pint sour cream
- salt and black pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Let cool slightly, then add rest of ingredients.
- Mix throughly and put in a loaf pan, lined with plastic wrap overlapping edges.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Remove from loaf pan by pulling up on plastic wrap; invert on plate and remove wrap.
- Serve cold.
This was very simple to make but not something I'd make again. It was pretty bland and kind of dry. I think if it had some spices in it and maybe a bit more sour cream when served it would be ok. I noticed when I went to serve it after it had been in the fridge it got dried out and I had a lid for my loaf pan.
Great side dish! It was light and creamy with just the right touch of onion. A nice alternative to potato salad. I served it with grilled steaks and salad. I did add a 4th egg, sliced on the top for garnish. My dh and kids said this is a 'keeper'!
This just did not do it for me. It was easy enough to make but it just did not have any real flavour to make it worthwhile.