Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
I got this recipe from an old Southern Living cookbook. My family enjoys this casserole. I used Ricotta cheese instead of cottage cheese, since my kids hated cottage cheese.
- 1 (8 ounce) package medium noodles
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup cream-style cottage cheese (I used Ricotta)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup green onion
- 3⁄4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Cook noodles in boiling salted water according to package directions.
- Rinse and drain.
- In skillet, brown meat in butter.
- Add salt, pepper and garlic salt, then tomato sauce.
- Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, chopped onion and noodles.
- Alternate layers of noodle mixture and meat mixture in a 2-quart casserole, beginning with noodles and ending with meat.
- Top with shredded Cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and browned.
Very good. I doubled the tomato sauce and reduced the cottage cheese/sour cream by half.
I just love this stuff! My mom made this ALL the time! Brings back great memories of childhood.
My mom used this exact recipe when I was young. Thinking back, it seems like we had it about once a week. Great as leftovers, too!