Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Wonderful, lighter, flavorful, family-friendly, easy recipe. I "stole" this recipe from Liz Papa. This recipe has stood the test of time, and I have modified it (modifications listed after ingredient) to decrease the preparation time, and lessen the fat/calories, while not sacrificing any flavor! It is a family and friend favorite! I usually double this recipe. Freezes and re-heats perfectly! Enjoy!
- 2 cups chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I ALWAYS substitute with 2 9oz. boxes of Tyson Time Trimmers Southwestern Chicken Breasts Strips, re)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can fat-free cream of chicken soup
- 3⁄4 cup skim milk
- 1⁄3 cup scallion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper (to taste)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1 cup fat free sour cream
- 10 fat free tortillas (I use Buena Vida brand)
- 2 cups low-fat monterey jack pepper cheese (I use Sargento's Light 4 Cheese Mexican Shredded Cheese)
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Bring soup, milk, scallions and pepper to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add green chilies and sour cream and set aside.
- In a 9x13 pan, spray lightly with fat free oil (like Pam), pour enough of the soup mixture into the pan to cover the bottom.
- Set remaining soup mixture aside.
- Take one tortilla, spread chicken and a small amount of cheese down the middle.
- Roll and place into pan.
- Repeat until tortillas are gone.
- Pour rest of soup mixture over the top of the tortillas and spread any remaining cheese over the top.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 350°F.
I adjusted this recipe since I have celiac and can't have gluten. I made my own cream of chicken soup and used corn tortillas instead of flour. I have to say this is the BEST chicken enchiladas I have had outside my favorite hispanic owned, and cooked Mexican resteraunt. They are AWESOME!
My husband loves this because it was not too spicy. This will become a regular on the dinner circuit.
Very good. I added chopped red peppers and garden tomatoes to the sauce. It gave a very distinct tomato flavor, though I didn't think the sauce was spicy enough. Very easy to make as well.