Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
Rich, heavy and so moist. I've been making this cake for about 30 years now and it's always delicious.
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar, just lightly pack
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Dissolve the baking soda in the cup of sour cream.
- Mix together brown sugar, vanilla and eggs.
- Add the sour cream mixture.
- Stir in flour, nutmeg and baking powder.
- Pour into an 8 x 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake 350° for 30 minutes for until cake tests done.
- If batter seems very heavy, add 1/4- 1/2 cup hot water.
I made this as written and we found it very very dense and sort of dry. It took much longer to cook then written as well. With some sour cream chocolate frosting it was pretty good, but would not have gone over well plain here.