Recipe by Member #610488
This recipe is from Haiti. The name of the sauce comes from a Haitian folk tale. This sauce is traditionally served with goat or pork dishes.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 scotch bonnet peppers, stemmed finely chopped
- 1 cup lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (more as needed)
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add onion and shallots. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the peppers and cook for 10 minutes.
- Take off of the heat and add lime juice, salt and black pepper. Blend in a food processor until desired consistency, adding additional salt as needed.
- Let sit at room temperature for a few hours before serving. Will keep in refrigerator for 1 week.