Recipe by pastorjen
I got this recipe from a friend. We love eating Korean food... There are a few notes here: First, when boiling the anchovies to make the stock you can purchase a large strainer that holds the heads and tails so that you dont have to fish them out in the end. Second the tubes of tofu can be purchased at any Korean market but square extra soft tofu works also, you would just cut it up before placing it in the stew. Lastly, cooking time may vary but should take no longer than an hour. This recipe is for 2.
- 12 dried anchovies
- 1⁄3 cup kelp
- 1 onion (half)
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 shiitake mushrooms
- 100 g beef
- 2 green onions
- 2 -5 tablespoons hot pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 22 ounces tofu
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 eggs
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour 5 cups of water into a pot and add 12 dried anchovies(heads and tails only).
- Add half onion, some dried kelp (about 1/3 cup), 3 dried shiitake mushrooms, 5 cloves of garlic and boil it over high heat.
- Approximately 10 minutes later, lower the heat to low medium heat and boil it for another 20 minutes.
- Set aside the stock and take out the mushrooms and chop them into small pieces.
- Heat your earthen ware (or ceramic pot, or regular pot) on the stove and put 2 tsp of olive oil.
- Chop 100 grams of beef and put it into the pot and stir it.
- Add the chopped shiitake mushroom and stir it.
- Add 2 tbs – 5 tbs (1/4 cup) of hot pepper flakes and keep stirring for 1 minute.
- *tip: 2 tbs—mild,3 tbs—medium,4 tbs—hot,5 tbs (1/4 cup)—suicidal hot !
- Pour 2 cups of the stock you made. It will be sizzling. Don’t be afraid! It’s just TOFU stew!
- Add 2 tbs of fish sauce.
- Cut the 2 tubes of Soon du bu (soft Tofu) in half and squeeze it out into the pot and break the tofu with a spoon several times in the pot.
- When it boils, add 2 chopped green onions.
- Crack eggs and drizzle some sesame oil before serving.