Recipe by brianh_ssllc
Fun recipe to involve the kids with shaping their own pretzels. Good sprinkled with salt, cinnamon sugar or? Prep time includes 10 minutes for softening yeast and 1 hour for dough to rise.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse salt (such as sea salt or kosher salt, to sprinkle as topping)
Directions See How It's Made
- Add water and yeast to large bowl and let set 10 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, and oil.
- Mix in flour until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and set aside for 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut dough into small pieces (I found a food scissors worked well.) Roll each piece into thin ropes (about pencil thickness or slightly larger)and shape into pretzels.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and sprinkle lightly with flour (about 1 tbsp).
- Place pretzels on floured cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle coarse salt (or other topping) on top of pretzel.
- Bake in preheated oven 12 minutes.
- Eat dipped in yogurt, ranch dressing or other dip.