Prep 1 hr 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
Fun recipe to involve the kids with shaping their own pretzels. Good sprinkled with salt, cinnamon sugar or? Prep time includes 10 minutes for softening yeast and 1 hour for dough to rise.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package yeast
- 1 1⁄2 cups water (room temperature)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or melted butter)
- 4 cups flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- coarse salt (such as sea salt or kosher salt, to sprinkle as topping)
- Add water and yeast to large bowl and let set 10 minutes.
- Add salt, sugar, and oil.
- Mix in flour until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough for 5 minutes and set aside for 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Cut dough into small pieces (I found a food scissors worked well.) Roll each piece into thin ropes (about pencil thickness or slightly larger)and shape into pretzels.
- Cover a cookie sheet with foil and sprinkle lightly with flour (about 1 tbsp).
- Place pretzels on floured cookie sheet and brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle coarse salt (or other topping) on top of pretzel.
- Bake in preheated oven 12 minutes.
- Eat dipped in yogurt, ranch dressing or other dip.