Recipe by God's_sugarcookie
These are so perfect and yummy--my mom makes these every Christmas and every Christmas I help and eat about half the delicious dough raw!! lol These couldn't be easier, either. All the spices mix together to give you the perfect dough. Try these, you won't be disappointed.
Top Review by Mark & Stacy
Good flavor, good smell, and pretty easy to make. I thought they were too dry, so I may use a bit less flour next time. I also will bake them a minute or two less than I did this time, because I would like them softer than they came out. I do think they got better a couple of days after they were baked.
- 3 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter or 1 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons dark molasses
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all dry ingredients together and cut in the butter.
- Add the wet ingredients. Knead a few seconds.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface pretty thick, about 1/4 inch. Cut out cookies and bake at 350 degrees F for 12-14 minutes.
- *NOTE: Cookies should be baked but still soft and chewy, not crisp. Serving size is approximate.