Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe can also be done in a crockpot, or it can be cooked in the oven! Don't use the sugar-free soda for this. The fresh garlic can be replaced with 1 teaspoon garlic powder if desired, this is best if made a day ahead to blend the flavors, refrigerate then warm over low heat on top of the stove.
- 3 -4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 -3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic (or to taste)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and chopped, optional add in for more heat)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 1⁄2 cups smoked dry sausage, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pork and beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup Coca-Cola
- 1⁄2 cup carbonated lemon-lime beverage (7-Up soda is good to use)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- In a large pot heat oil over medium heat; add in the onions, garlic, jalapeno pepper, curry powder and cayenne; saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add in the chopped smoked sausage; saute for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in all the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil, stirring until the brown sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered until thickened, stirring occasionally for about 1 hour (or you can simmer for more time if desired).
This was really good, though I had to make one major modification. I left out the smoked dry sausage because I have no idea what it is lol. No one in our family are really big bean people but everyone ate it tonight without complaint. So I will keep this filed away for the days that I'm tired of typical vegetables (and all of the prep work that goes with them) for dinner. Thanks (as usual) Kitten!