Prep 12 hrs
Cook 30 mins
Yum. Healthy spelt based english muffins. I found this recipe on the blog Taste is Trump: http://goodlookingcook.blogspot.com/2011/01/soaked-english-muffins.html English muffins are in the same category as most bread products. Like pitas and tortillas, it is impossible to find a store bought variety made with healthful ingredients, properly prepared that tastes good. These are great to just eat with butter and honey, or make little sandwiches with.
- 473.18 ml spelt flour
- 177.44 ml kefir (or milk plus 2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice to a total of 3/4 cup, allowed to sit for 5 minutes until ) or 177.44 ml buttermilk (or milk plus 2 tsp vinegar or lemon juice to a total of 3/4 cup, allowed to sit for 5 minutes until )
- 4.92 ml honey
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 9.85 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- Combine spelt, kefir and honey, mix well. Let soak on counter about 12 hours.
- Combine baking soda, baking powder and salt. Sprinkle over soaking flour, mix well.
- Heat skillet to medium (about 275 degrees). Form dough into rustic biscut shapes. Place on dry, preheated skillet. Cook 4 minutes, carefully flip and cook 4 minutes on second side.
- Split with a fork, serve warm. Toast to reheat.
This is a very, very yummy recipe tastewise! The muffins have a nutty pretzel-like flavour and are really, really good for breakfast. The dough was super easy to work with and the texture of the muffins was soft and thick, which we really enjoyed.
However I cannot give the full 5 stars as I had quite some trouble baking these in my dry skillet. They stuck like crazy and I could only manage to bake through one of them this way. The others I had to scrape out of the skillet and then I just reshaped them and popped them into the oven for 25 minutes at 180°C. That worked nicely and they puffed up quite a bit. The crust wasnt as good as the one from the pan (the darker coloured pic), but all in all they were great, too.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this easy and healthy recipe with us, Kat! Ill make these again for sure!
Made and reviewed for my chosen chef during Veggie Swap #31 February 2011.
Extremely dry and they stuck like crazy. I won't make again.