Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This one is very nearly like the way my mom used to make TNC. Using Ruffles potato chips is a must.
- 1 1⁄2 cups egg noodles (or macaroni, fusilli, or penne)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- black pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (6 ounce) can albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 1 cup potato chips, crushed (Ruffles)
- Prepare noodles by following the package directions (make sure to season the water with a little salt); drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the onion and stir/saute 2-3 minutes or until soft.
- Whisk in the mushroom soup, milk, and lemon juice.
- Season to taste with pepper; stir and cook about 4 minutes or until sauce is smooth, thickened slightly , and bubbling; remove pan from heat.
- Add the noodles, frozen peas, and tuna to the mushroom sauce; stir to combine.
- Tranfer mixture to a greased 2 quart casserole; smooth top with a rubber spatula.
- Scatter the potato chips evenly over the top.
- Bake in a 425° oven for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly and the potato chips turn golden brown.
next time i'll double recipe because the kids ate it all. next time i'll leave out the lemon. thanks!
This made a delicious meal for Lent. I added a half cup chopped celery with the onion.