I love the original and these are close to exact. The original recipe was from a copycat website, but I have made a few adjustments to make them closer to the real thing. You will think they are undercooked when you take them out of the over, but they aren't.
- In a large bowl, cream together the shortening and sugars with an electric mixer on high.
- Add egg, vanilla, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar.
- Mix on high until smooth and well incorporated.
- Add flour and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 300°F and let the dough rest in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar and cinnamon for topping.
- With your hands, roll the dough into balls about the size of a golf ball.
- Roll the balls in the cinnamon/sugar mixture and press them into an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes and NO LONGER! They will seem undercooked, but will be soft and chewy in the middle once they have cooled. Don't overbake and then come to me with a bad review because they weren't delicious :).