Recipe by zoe,owen,andliams mommy
I usually love broccoli soup, but don't have the time or patience to make it. I also don't like the thought of a lot of cream. I love this recipe from family fun. My 4 year old will gobble it up.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Quick to fix and very yummy! A mild, not too thick soup which kids are sure to enjoy. Much more nutritious than those cream soups loaded with lots of fat. Used a large bunch of fresh broccoli with good results. A hand blender makes short work of pureeing the veggies in the soup pan, and no extra dishes to wash. I keep an assortment of soups in single serve containers in the freezer and am glad to add this one to the rotation. Thanks for sharing the recipe! Made for PAC Fall 2007.
- 1 cup water, mixed with
- 1 cup chicken stock (homemade or canned)
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen broccoli or 2 1⁄2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups milk
- 4 tablespoons instant mashed potatoes, powder
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the stock mixture over medium heat, add the onion, broccoli, and salt, and cook about ten minutes or until tender.
- Puree half the vegetables with half of the liquid in a blender or processor until smooth, then repeat with the other half (be sure to vent the steam, since processing hot ingredients can cause small explosions).
- Heat the milk in a large saucepan until bubbles form on the edges. Stir in the remaining ingredients and carefully simmer for three minutes. Stir in the pureed broccoli and onion, taste for seasoning, and ladle into individual bowls. Serves six.