Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
Golden rabbit covered in a tarragon sauce. Feel free to use chicken in this wonderful dish.
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (2 1/2 lb) rabbits or 2 (2 1/2 lb) chicken, cut up
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- In plastic bag combine flour, tarragon, salt, and pepper. Add the rabbit or chicken pieces one at a time; shake well to cover with flour.
- In large skillet, melt butter; add oil. Once oil is a frying temperature, sauté the rabbit/chicken a few at a time until browned. Add broth; cover and simmer 50-60 minutes or until tender. Remove chicken and thicken pan juices.
The ease of preparation and the dried tarragon make this recipe very appealing. My daughter wanted to try rabbit and I chose this recipe to prepare for her, and I'm glad I did. The meat was tender and the gravy delicious with smashed potatoes and green beans. This is a good basic recipe that can be adapted to many different types of meat to make a homey supper.