2 hrs 30 mins
This is the easiest way to smother okra. Using this method, the okra can be eaten as is or used as a base for Okra Gumbo. To prepare the gumbo, all that needs to be added to this full batch of cooked okra is about 3 to 4 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, cooking stovetop for about 20 to 25 minutes after returning to a simmer. Should additional liquid need be added, do so towards the end of the 20 minutes by adding broth, water or shrimp stock to reach desired consistency. Serve gumbo over cooked rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 lbs fresh okra, washed, de-stemmed, sliced (frozen can be substituted)
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice (whole, chopped, or crushed)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup water, can substitute chicken broth
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery (optional)
- 1 lb ham seasoning, small diced
- 1In a large roasting pot, layer alternately the okra, onions, bell pepper, tomatoes with juice, oil, garlic, celery, ham seasoning, water or broth, salt and pepper.
- 2Cover pot tightly and place in 425°F oven.
- 3Cook 30 minutes, stir and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- 4Cover and cook 2 - 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- 5When the stringing of the okra ceases, the okra is cooked.
- 6Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- 7Chill COMPLETELY before packaging and freezing.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Okra Base for Okra Gumbo or a Simple Side Dish
Serving Size: 1 (549 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 369.0
- Calories from Fat 104
- Total Fat 11.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 283.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 68.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 16.8 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 11.8 g