Recipe by gailanng
This is the easiest way to smother okra. Using this method, the okra can be eaten as is or used as a base for Okra Gumbo. To prepare the gumbo, all that needs to be added to this full batch of cooked okra is about 3 to 4 pounds peeled and deveined shrimp, cooking stovetop for about 20 to 25 minutes after returning to a simmer. Should additional liquid need be added, do so towards the end of the 20 minutes by adding broth, water or shrimp stock to reach desired consistency. Serve gumbo over cooked rice.
- 4 lbs fresh okra, washed, de-stemmed, sliced (frozen can be substituted)
- 3 large onions, chopped
- 2 large green bell peppers, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans tomatoes with juice (whole, chopped, or crushed)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup water, can substitute chicken broth
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery (optional)
- 1 lb ham seasoning, small diced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large roasting pot, layer alternately the okra, onions, bell pepper, tomatoes with juice, oil, garlic, celery, ham seasoning, water or broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover pot tightly and place in 425°F oven.
- Cook 30 minutes, stir and reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- Cover and cook 2 - 2 1/2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes.
- When the stringing of the okra ceases, the okra is cooked.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- Chill COMPLETELY before packaging and freezing.