1/1 Photo of Smothered Lamb (Or Pork or Beef)
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
pattikay in L.A.'s Note:
This is a mildly spicy dish from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking. I imagine chicken would probably work in this recipe as well. I made this with beef and added some potatoes. Posted for ZWT IV.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb cubed boneless lamb (or pork or stewing beef)
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 -2 fresh green chile, cut into rings
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- 1Put all the ingredients except the oil, garlic and black pepper into a bowl and mix well.
- 2Put the oil in a large deep skillet and heat over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, put in garlic, stir till pieces turn medium brown.
- 3Put in the seasoned meat and stir once or twice. Turn heat to medium.
- 4Add one half cup of water. Stir and cover the pan and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, till meat is tender and sauce is thickened, adding more liquid if necessary. Stir occasionally.
- 5Sprinkle in pepper, adjust seasonings, stir and serve.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smothered Lamb (Or Pork or Beef)
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 575.7
- Calories from Fat 425
- Total Fat 47.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 111.5 mg
- Sodium 728.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 27.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: