Cook1 hr 30 mins
This is a mildly spicy dish from Madhur Jaffrey's Quick and Easy Indian Cooking. I imagine chicken would probably work in this recipe as well. I made this with beef and added some potatoes. Posted for ZWT IV.
- 1 lb cubed boneless lamb (or pork or stewing beef)
- 1 small onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 -2 fresh green chile, cut into rings
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
- Put all the ingredients except the oil, garlic and black pepper into a bowl and mix well.
- Put the oil in a large deep skillet and heat over medium-high heat. When oil is hot, put in garlic, stir till pieces turn medium brown.
- Put in the seasoned meat and stir once or twice. Turn heat to medium.
- Add one half cup of water. Stir and cover the pan and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, till meat is tender and sauce is thickened, adding more liquid if necessary. Stir occasionally.
- Sprinkle in pepper, adjust seasonings, stir and serve.