Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Easy Indonesian/Dutch inspired meal that works for lunch, dinner, or even breakfast!
- 1 whole yellow onion, sliced thinly (substitutable with 5 shallots)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons crushed garlic
- cooking oil
- 300 g chicken drumsticks or 300 g chicken wings
- 1 whole tomatoes, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup ketjap manis thick soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Heat enough cooking oil to moisten chicken.
- Cook chicken until half-done.
- Heat more cooking oil and stir-fry onion and garlic till fragrant.
- Return chicken to the wok with onion and garlic.
- Stir-fry for approximately another two minutes and add tomatoes.
- Add ketjap manis by pouring around the wok's edges.
- This will prevent you from using too much.
- Add water enough to cover the chicken and stir.
- Add nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
- If you think the sauce is too watery, let it simmer uncovered to allow excess water to evaporate.
- Serve immediately with fragrant rice.
- This recipe works well with potatoes too-- simply substitute some of the chicken with potatoes.
- Easy alternative for those too lazy to cook rice separately.