Prep 12 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious vegetarian spread.
Make and share this Smoky Eggplant and Chickpea Spread recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (1 1/2-2 lb) eggplants
- 15 ounces low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup tahini, stirred well
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon chili paste, ground fresh (or more to taste)
- fresh parsley
- 3⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pinch fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F Heat a grill pan to high.
- Using a fork, poke eggplant five or six times so it won't explode when it cooks. Place eggplant on grill and cook, turning a few times, until skin is charred well, about 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer eggplant to a baking sheet to finish cooking in oven until very soft when pierced with a skewer, about 20 minutes Remove eggplant and allow it to sit at room temperature until cool enough to handle. Peel away skin and discard.
- Cut peeled eggplant into pieces so it will fit into a food processor or blender. Add chickpeas along with remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. If too thick, add water 1 tablespoon at a time, until mixture reaches desired consistency. Taste and make any adjustments to seasoning with lemon juice, salt and pepper.