Recipe by R. Warren Meddoff
Tapas dish from Andalusia, Spain. You can serve this dish as is or over rice, orzo or couscous.
Top Review by gypsygal
I made the recipe as written without the cheese. I'm glad I did. DH needed to "kit" it up with some hot sauce and thought it would be better without the spinach. It's also too dry. It's a good recipe and I would like to play with it. I have the manchego cheese. It will be a plus for this recipe.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups eggplants (unpeeled, cubed and roasted)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes with juice (Italian, diced or chopped)
- 1 cup frozen spinach (thawed and chopped)
- 1 cup manchego cheese (crumbled)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare eggplant by preheating oven to 375ºF/175ºC.
- Dice unpeeled eggplant into 1 inch cubes. Combine with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread on a baking pan with the sides lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- Heat remaining oil in large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and smoked paprika. Sauté 1 minute to soften the onions.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, eggplant and cheese. Cook until heated through and cheese is melted.