Prep 3 mins
Cook 37 mins
Tapas dish from Andalusia, Spain. You can serve this dish as is or over rice, orzo or couscous.
Make and share this Smoky Chickpeas With Spinach, Tomato and Manchego Cheese, Tapas recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 Spanish onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups eggplants (unpeeled, cubed and roasted)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes with juice (Italian, diced or chopped)
- 1 cup frozen spinach (thawed and chopped)
- 1 cup manchego cheese (crumbled)
- Prepare eggplant by preheating oven to 375ºF/175ºC.
- Dice unpeeled eggplant into 1 inch cubes. Combine with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Spread on a baking pan with the sides lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- Heat remaining oil in large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and smoked paprika. Sauté 1 minute to soften the onions.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes and bring to a simmer; cook for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach, eggplant and cheese. Cook until heated through and cheese is melted.
I made the recipe as written without the cheese. I'm glad I did. DH needed to "kit" it up with some hot sauce and thought it would be better without the spinach. It's also too dry. It's a good recipe and I would like to play with it. I have the manchego cheese. It will be a plus for this recipe.