Recipe by KeithInWPG
I decided to try something different for my first grill outing of the year. This turned out wonderful, even my step-daughter who isn't a meatloaf fan said I could make this again! Note: directions are based on using a gas grill. Adjust for your particular circumstances. Prep time does not include freezer time.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green pepper, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumb
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups swiss-cheddar-jack cheese mix
- 1 1⁄2 cups ketchup, divided
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all meatloaf ingredients in a bowl. Blend the mixture about 4-5 minutes.
- Spread mixture flat on saran wrap. Top meat mixture with brown sugar, shredded cheese, and 1 cup ketchup (in that order), spreading evenly over meat. Roll up loaf using saran wrap to form. Twist ends of saran wrap and place in freezer for approximately 1 hour to firm up.
- Prepare smoke pouch with 1 handful of wet mesquite chips and 2 handfuls of dry chips using aluminum foil. Poke several holes in the pouch with a fork so smoke can escape. Light one side of grill to high, leaving other side off. Place smoke pouch on hot side of grill, and wait for pouch to start smoking. Once pouch is smoking, place meatloaf on grill. Smoke until loaf registers 160 deg. in middle (approx 3 hours). Cover with remaining 1/2 cup of ketchup during last 30 minutes of cook time.
- Remove from grill and allow to rest 15-20 minutes. Slice and serve.