Our son catches it and smokes it, we pickle it, a wonderful combination of tastes! Serve alone or on buttered rye bread rounds as an appy or starter. Looks great on a buffet table.
- In a medium deep ceramic bowl, just wide enough to hold a slice of smoked salmon spread out flat.
- Divide the onion slices into separate rings and arrange alternate layers of smoked salmon and onion in the bowl.
- Combine the oil, wine vinegar and garlic in a separate bowl and whisk well.
- Season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf.
- Pour the marinade over the salmon and onions, cover tightly and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 8 to 12 days.
- When serving, drain off the marinade and garnish each salmon slice with onion rings, bay leaves, fresh dill or both.