- 20 g butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup swiss cheese, grated
- 8 slices bread, crusts removed
- Dijon mustard, for spreading
- 1⁄3 cup swiss cheese, grated extra
- 200 g smoked ham, shaved
- 50 g butter, softened (extra)
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan over low heat. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes or until sandy like in texture. Gradually whisk in the milk, add the 1/4 cup of cheese and cook, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until thickened and set aside.
- Spread half the bread slices with the mustard and top with the extra cheese and then ham.
- Spread the remaining slices with the pre made cheese mixture and sandwich both sides together. Spread the sandwiches with butter on both sides.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over high heat and using extra butter, cook sandwiches (pending on pan size in batches ) for approx 2-3 minutes each side or until golden and the cheese is melted.
- Serve whilst hot.