Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick and easy family meal.Any type of fish can be used, I use King Fish but even tinned fish will suffice. Kumara is a New Zealand sweet potato. Any sweet potato can be used or even just plain potato.
- 500 g smoked fish fillet
- 1 medium diced onion
- 3 large dill sprigs
- 59.14 ml chopped parsley
- 14.79 ml olive oil
- 354.88 ml grated tasty cheese
- 59.14 ml breadcrumbs
- 4.92 ml paprika
- 4 large diced kumara (Steamed)
- 2 cloves finely diced garlic
- salt and pepper
- 100 g butter
- 118.29 ml flour
- 400 ml cream
- 250 ml milk (1 cup)
- Melt butter over a low heat.
- Add flour and salt n pepper and cook until it resembles bread crumbs.
- Remove from heat and add cream and milk gradually stirring between each addition with a whisk.
- Put back onto heat and stir until thick.
- Saute' onion in a little olive oil, add curry powder and cook until onion is clear and curry is aromatic.
- Chop dill finely and add onion, curry, dill and parsley to white sauce.
- Flake up fish and add to sauce, fold in gently and put into pie dish.
- Lightly mash together Kumara, garlic and salt n pepper.
- Lay evenly over fish and sauce, sprinkle grated cheese on top then bread crumbs and top with a sprinkle of paprika.
- Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
We made this to celebrate our newfound love of all things Kiwi (thanks especially to Outrageous Fortune and Flight of the Conchords). I bought smoked trout and it took a good while to skin and debone but the effort was worth it. I didn't see an amount listed for the curry powder, so I added 1/2 tsp. I oversalted the white sauce slightly as there's a lot of salt in the smoked fish. Microwaved 4 sweet potatoes for 12 minutes, poking and flipping. Skipped the bread crumbs and forgot the paprika (will remember next time). Used Trader Joe's Unexpected Cheddar which was DELICIOUS with it. It's an aged cheddar with parm. It cooks at 350 F. I think next time I'd half the smoked trout and add chunked cod or salmon. I wonder if using all milk would still work and cut saturated fat slightly? Thanks for the keeper!
Kumara is the New Zealand word for what Americans call a Yam. Our Orange Kumara is what would serve as a sweet potato in America.