Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This rich and creamy chicken soup goes great in bread bowls, and folks will probably want seconds. :) You can substitute different sorts of vegetables, if you like, and use un-smoked chicken breast as well. I've left out the tomatoes on occasion.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large baking potato
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 3 roma tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1⁄2 cup small cauliflower, pieces
- 1⁄2 cup small broccoli floret
- 1⁄4 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄4 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup zucchini, rounds or diced
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 boneless skinless smoked chicken breasts, cubed
- white pepper, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- Melt together oil and butter in a 6-quart heavy kettle and cook the onions, celery, and mushrooms over moderate heat stirring, until onions are softened.
- Scrub potato under running water, peel and cut into 1/4-inch dice; add potato and garlic to kettle and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook over moderately low heat for 2 minutes while continuing to stir.
- Whisk in 3 cups of the broth and the half and half and bring to a boil, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, bell pepper, zucchini, cheeses, basil, and chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally (and adding enough of remaining cup of broth to thin soup to desired consistency) for about 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Season soup with salt and pepper and hot sauce, to taste.
- Good served in bread bowls!
- Makes about 8 cups.
- You can use cooked un-smoked chicken breasts, too.
Sounds like a super comfort food on a cold winters nite. Great combination. Thanks