Easy Smoked Chicken
photo by Ackman
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 25mins
- hickory chips (Soak for about 6 hours if possible, can soak overnight)
- 4 whole chickens, split (3 to 3 1/2 lbs each)
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (use your favorite)
- Soak your hickory chips for 6 hours (may soak overnight).
- Split the chickens if you didn't have your butcher do it for you. Combine the salt, paprika, and pepper; stir well. Sprinkle over the chicken on both sides.
- Combine the vegetable oil, vinegar, and hot sauce, stirring well. Set chicken and oil mixture aside.
- Prepare a fire in your grill; let burn until the coals are gray. Rake the coals to one end of the grill; put an old disposable foil pan on the other end of the grill. Pour water in it to make steam and keep your chicken nice and moist. Sprinkle the hickory chips over the hot coals.
- Place the chicken on the side of the grill over the pan with water in it. Place the lid on the grill. Grill over indirect heat 3 to 3 1/2 hours, or until done. Turn the chicken occasionally. Add hickory chips as needed to keep the smoke going. You may also need to throw a few pieces of charcoal in it to keep the fire going nice and hot. Baste the chicken with the oil mixture during the last hour of grilling time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!