- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red sweet bell pepper, finely diced
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F Pam a 9X9X2 baking pan.
- Sift together the dry ingredients in medium bowl. Blend in butter with pastry cutter. Beat the butter milk and eggs in a large bowl. Add cormeal to liquid and blend.
- Gently fold in grated cheese, scallions, red peppers. Blend until evenly ditributed throughout the batter.
- Transfer batter to pan. Bake until corn bread is golden and a toothpick comes out clean about 35 to 40 minutes.