1/8 Photos of Smoked Boston Butt
8 hrs 20 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
This is for a smoker. It could be cooked in the oven at 300F but that would be like that restaurant on the moon....great food, but no atmosphere. Charcoal and pecan wood brings this to another level. A Boston Butt also goes by the name Pork Shoulder. Together with the section called "picnic", they comprise the shoulder of the pig. The Boston Butt is the upper section of the shoulder.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 tablespoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano (Mexican if available)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon celery salt
- 3 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/4 cup yellow mustard
- 7 lbs pork shoulder blade roast
- 1Toast Corriander seeds for 3 minutes in an iron skillet over medium heat.
- 2Grind the seeds in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- 3Add the rest of the spices and sugar and blend.
- 4Rinse the roast.
- 5cover lightly with mustard.
- 6sprinkle and rub the dry rub onto all sides.
- 7Use about 1/3 cup of pecan pellets or chips and encase in heavy duty aluminum foil. punch one small hole in the packet and toss onto the coals. If using chunks of pecan, add 4 pieces (3x3x3 inches) to the coals at the start of the cook.
- 8Cook at 250F to 300F indirectly over charcoal.
- 9When internal temperature reaches 170F, Wrap in two layers of heavy duty foil and return to the smoker.
- 10Remove the roast when internal temperature is 190F to 200F and drain the juices carefully into a container.
- 11Refrigerate the juices to remove fat.
- 12Rewrap the roast and let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- 13After it cools a bit, use 2 forks or your hands to pull the pork into medium sized pieces. Discard fat as you come to it.
- 14Defat the juices and either add to the pulled pork or use in a sauce recipe.
- 15Use your favorite sauce and place or buns or serve directly with BBQ sides.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Boston Butt
Serving Size: 1 (482 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 893.3
- Calories from Fat 512
- Total Fat 56.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 281.2 mg
- Sodium 3373.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 10.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 80.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: