Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This hearty and satisfying soup takes the chill off of any wintry evening. I like to serve it with Tabasco sauce on the side but if you want less heat, a few drops of vinegar will work nicely. Serve with lots of warm crusty bread. Recipe originally to be found in Delia Smith's "Complete Cookery Course" and her "Complete Illustrated Cookery Course".
- 6 slices smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 6 ounces green lentils or 6 ounces brown lentils, washed and drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces canned diced tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces finely shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large soup pot and fry the bacon until the fat begins to run.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and cook over high heat and stirring as needed until the edges of the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, garlic and stock.
- When this comes to a boil, put the lid on and reduce heat, allowing to simmer as gently as possible.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, then add the cabbage.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Stir in parsley, and serve immediately.
Made this with fresh crusty baguettes. A very hearty soup. I used a can of spicy diced tomatoes and also added some spiced heat.
We liked this Lentil Soup a lot. To spice it up a little I used a can of Rotel instead of the diced tomatoes and added a little hot sauce to the final soup. Loved the cabbage. Thanks for posting.
A good and different variation for Lentil Soup! I really liked the addition of the cabbage but wished I added some hot sauce to the soup. Thanks for sharing!