Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
From Real Simple Magazine. Somtimes eating meatless meals feels really good. Makes 4 double decker sandwiches.
- 2 (15 ounce) cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices multigrain bread
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 seedless cucumber, thinly sliced (peeled, if desired)
- 1 (4 ounce) container alfalfa sprouts or 1 (4 ounce) container radish sprouts or 1 (4 ounce) container broccoli sprouts
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, oil, salt, and pepper.
- Roughly mash the mixture with the back of a fork.
- Place 8 of the bread slices on a work surface.
- Divide the mashed beans among the slices.
- Top with the onion, cucumber, sprouts, and avocado.
- Stack the open-faced sandwiches on top of one another, avocado-side up, to make 4 double-decker sandwiches. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Slice each sandwich in half, if desired, and serve.
- Tip: You can make this quick sandwich even more quickly by using store-bought hummus in place of the smashed white beans.
This was suprisingly declicious and nutritious! It was easy and had the perfect crunch as well as soft texture. I made it exactly as written but used bean sprouts instead of the other sprouts and made it as only a regular sandwich not a double decker. Try this one! Thanks!