Recipe by cookiedog
The slug in this recipe refers to the texture of the mandarin oranges. This is from the Firehouse Food: Cooking with San Francisco's Firefighters cookbook. They suggest only to use Girard's Champagne Dressing- but I'll leave that up to you.
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 heads butter lettuce, washed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 1⁄2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, drained
- champagne dressing
Directions See How It's Made
- To caramelize the almonds: Melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the almonds and saute until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Add the brown sugar and stir to combine. Spread the almonds on a baking sheet, separating them. Set aside to cool. When completely cooled, the almonds will have a hard, candied coating.
- To assemble the salad: In a large bowl, toss the lettuce with the red onion, blue cheese, mandarin oranges, and dressing to taste.
- Sprinkle the almonds over the salad and serve immediately.