Recipe by Corilayn
It's an inexpensive,EASY and completely delicious way to cook a smoked shoulder. (They go on sale for $0.88/lb here and I buy LOTS) It's like that infomercial...set it, and forget it. Also an awesome change from chicken wings for a snack during the big game. The variations are endless but the method of cooking remains the same.
Top Review by muncecoin
This is one of the best recipes I've ever made from this web site. I followed the instructions exactly as stated. So easy and such great flavor. The grandkids were over and they would not even let me put bbq sauce on it! This is definitely a recipe I will make over and over. Thanks for posting!
Directions See How It's Made
- Turn oven on to 300.
- Place pork in lasagne pan fat side up. (can be placed on a rack,optional).
- Score fat lightly in a diamond pattern, not piercing through to the meat.
- Rub salt, pepper and garlic on the fat.
- Cover lightly with tin foil and roast for 3 hours, this gets the fat melting.
- Remove tin foil and reduce oven to 225.
- Continue roasting for 4 hours.
- Remove from oven and drain drippings if desired.
- Turn oven up to 450-500.
- Place pork back in oven until fat is crispy and browned, about 5-10mins.
- Remove from oven, lightly tent with tin foil and wait till cool enought to handle.
- Remove meat and tear apart with 2 forks.
- Toss with favorite BBQ sauce and serve on buns.
- *note* I've made this a 1000 times. Sometimes with aromatic herbs such as rosemary, thyme and sage. Sometimes with a wet rub. Sometimes with fruit such as apples,peaches, or pineapple. I've never had one not turn out. I posted this recipe today because that's what in my oven. (big game on!).