4 hrs 40 mins
Perfect for fall! From Better Homes & Gardens website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 large onions, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 3 lbs boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup dry red wine or 3/4 cup reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons cider
- 1 (6 inch) cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 large quinces or 2 large cooking apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 4 cups hot cooked couscous
- 1Place onions in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker. Place beef on top of onions. In a bowl combine wine, tomato paste, vinegar, cinnamon, rosemary, allspice, salt, and crushed red pepper; pour over beef.
- 2Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 3 hours. Adjust low-heat setting to high-heat setting. Stir in squash and quince. Cover and cook 1-1/2 to 2 hours more or until squash is tender. If using apples, add to cooker the last 1/2 hour of cooking. Remove and discard cinnamon. Serve pot roast with couscous and juices. Makes 8 servings.
- 3Stove top instructions: Set onions aside to add later. In a 4- to 5- quart Dutch oven, brown beef one third at a time, in 2 tablespoons hot olive or cooking oil. Transfer beef to platter; drain fat and return beef to Dutch oven. Increase wine to 1-1/2 cups and vinegar to 1/3 cup. Stir wine, tomato paste, vinegar, cinnamon, rosemary, allspice, salt, and red pepper into meat. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 1-1/4 hours. Add onions, squash, and quince, if using. Return to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 30 minutes more or until quince and vegetables are tender. If using apples, add the last 10 minutes of cooking. Remove; discard cinnamon. Serve as above.
- 4Tip: If using apples instead of quince, choose a firm cooking apple such as Granny Smith, Fuji, or Gala.
Browse Our Top Equipment Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow Cooker Pot Roast Stew
Serving Size: 1 (921 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1256.6
- Calories from Fat 605
- Total Fat 67.3 g
- Saturated Fat 27.1 g
- Cholesterol 234.7 mg
- Sodium 789.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 82.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 72.4 g