America's Test Kitchen
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs country-style boneless pork ribs, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped medium
- 12 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano (or 2 t. dried)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1Dry the pork with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper.
- 2Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in a 12-inch skillet over med-high heat until just smoking.
- 3Brown half of the pork, about 10 minutes, then add to the slow cooker.
- 4Return the skillet to med-high heat and repeat with 2 more teaspoons oil and the remaining pork.
- 5Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the empty skillet and heat over medium heat until shimmering.
- 6Add the onions and 1/4 tsp salt and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 7Stir in the garlic and cook for 15 seconds.
- 8Stir in the wine and tomato paste, scraping up any browned bits.
- 9Simmer until the wine has reduced by half, about 3 minutes, then pour into the slow cooker.
- 10Add the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes with their juice, the oregano, red pepper flakes, and bay leaves to the slow cooker.
- 11Cover and cook on LOW for 7-8 hours or on HIGH for 4-5 hours, until the meat is tender.
- 12Let the sauce settle for 5 minutes, then use a wide spoon to skim the fat off the surface.
- 13Use a wooden spoon or spatula to break up the pieces of meat.
- 14Before tossing the sauce with cooked pasta, discard the bay leaves, stir in the parsley, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slow-Cooker Meaty Tomato Sauce With Pork
Serving Size: 1 (351 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.2
- Calories from Fat 97
- Total Fat 10.8 g
- Saturated Fat 3.1 g
- Cholesterol 100.7 mg
- Sodium 228.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.1 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 30.9 g