Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
My oven has been out of order for some time now as I await the arrival of some special order part. I had a craving for carrot cake and tried out this novel way of 'baking' one. The recipe is an adaptation from Beth Hensperger's "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook". You can use a small spring form pan that fits inside your large slow cooker. I did not have one so I used the no stick insert from my rice cooker as an improvised cake pan.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups carrots, shredded
- 1⁄4 cup canned crushed pineapple, drained
- 1⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- Cut a round of parchment paper to size to fit the bottom of your spring form pan. Spray the interior of your spring form pan with cooking spray. Place the parchment round on the bottom and spray it with cooking spray as well.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, spices, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a small bowl, combine the vegetable oil, eggs, and orange juice, orange and vanilla extracts.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry, beating until smooth.
- Stir in the carrots, pineapple and walnuts.
- Spread the batter evenly in the cake pan. Place pan inside the slow cooker. Put lid on slow cooker and cook on HIGH until the cake is puffed and a cake tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Turn cooker off, remove lid, and let stand for 30 minute to cool before removing from the cake pan.
- Once cool, you can ice with cream cheese frosting.