Crock Pot Carrot Soup With Honey and Nutmeg
photo by Swirling F.
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 15mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 lbs carrots or 15 medium carrots, scrubbed, tops cut off, and chopped
- 1 -2 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 -6 cups water or 4 -6 cups chicken broth, as needed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄2 - 1 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly grated
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often to cook evenly.
- Put the potatoes, carrots, garlic, and herbs in the slow cooker; add the onions and oil, scraping them out of the pan. Add enough of the water or broth to cover everything. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Turn the cooker to LOW and cook until the vegetables are soft, 5 to 7 hours. Puree in batches in a food processor or right in the slow cooker with a handheld immersion blender; the soup will be nice and thick. Stir in the honey and grate the nutmeg right over the crock. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm on LOW without letting it come to a boil until serving. Ladle the hot soup into bowls and enjoy.
We loved this soup! It is an easy recipe and produces a rich, hardy, and satisfying soup. <br/><br/>Thank you for sharing it.<br/><br/>Playing with this recipe, we've had great success with the following four revisions / additions:<br/>1) Cooking the garlic with the onions to mellow and enrich the garlic.<br/>2) Add some garlic and onion powders to layer those flavors.<br/>3) Swapped the honey for molasses, which made a slightly sweeter, tangier soup.<br/>4) Added some paprika for both the taste and color.