- 1 (16 ounce) bag dried pinto beans, sorted and rinsed (3-1/4 cups)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped onion (2 medium)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped cooked ham
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
Directions See How It's Made
- In large saucepan, combine beans and 10 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, simmer 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until beans are tender but still firm, stirring occasionally.
- Drain beans, discarding water. Place beans in 3-1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker. Add 2 cups water and all remaining ingredients except tomatoes; mix well.
- Cover; cook on Low setting 8 hours.
- Add tomatoes; mix well. Cover; cook 1 to 2 hours longer or until beans are tender.