Recipe by AZPARZYCH
Chuck roast that comes out tender and juicy after cooking all day in the crockpot.
Top Review by Dr. Mike
I find that cooking pot roast in a heavy dutch oven is the most convenient method. I brown the meat first then bake it at 250 deg for 8 hours or until fork tender. If you use a crock pot you have to use another pot to brown the meat.
- 3 -4 lbs chuck roast
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juices
- 1⁄2 cup port wine or 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper; coat with flour.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-hight heat.
- Sear roast on all sides, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Transfer to slow cooker.
- Add onions to pan and cook until browned.
- Add remaining ingredients to onions.
- Cook, stirring until mixture is simmering.
- Pour over roast; cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Taste broth and adjust with salt and pepper if needed.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 8-10 hours longer (or continue cooking on high 4-5 hours).
- Transfer roast to a serving platter an d cover to keep warm.
- Pour juices in a saucepan and simmer about 10 minutes to reduce excess liquid, if desired.