Recipe by Ruti
Potato Kugel is always better the longer you bake it! So keep it in that oven!!! A good tip for potato kugel, is always to use a food processor - otherwise you end up with a gooey grey mess - and I don't know anyone that actually likes grey potato kugel! Keep a bowl of cold water on had for your peeled potatoes as well, to keep them that much whiter!
Top Review by Mirj
Excellent recipe! I used two huge onions and about 4 garlic cloves, and also added a heavy dose of coarse Moroccan paprika. We keep our oven on a time for Friday nights so I just made this on Friday afternoon and then turned the oven down and had piping hot and FRESH kugel for dinner on Friday night. Leftovers the next day were just as delicious! Thanks for this!
- 2 1⁄2 kg white potatoes
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 3 dashes pepper (3 grinds)
- 2 garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 420°F.
- Take your baking trays - 2 medium rectangle - and place the oil in them and swirl around a bit. Then place them in the oven to heat.
- Peel all your potatoes and place them in to your bowl of cold water.
- In a seperate bowl, place your eggs, oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Beat together till combined.
- Get out your food processor and using the smallest grater setting, grate the onions and potatoes.
- Immediately add to the liquid.
- Mix together thoroughly.
- Take baking trays out of the oven - CAREFULLY!
- Pour any excess oil in to the grated potatoes.
- Place grated potatoes in to the baking tray, without squeezing out any of the liquid.
- Pour liquid that is left in the bowl over the potatoes and place in the oven.
- Bake on 420f for 30 minutes then turn down to 200f. Leave in for 5-7 hours.