Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs 30 mins
From about.com . These slightly sweet yeast rolls are blessed on Holy Saturday in the traditional zegen Easter basket and are served up on Easter morning.
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces candied citron peel
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 2 cups light raisins or 2 cups dark raisins, soaked in warm water and drained
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp water
- Mix together the yeast, milk and 2 tbl sugar in a small bowl and let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, place 2 1/2 c flour, yeast mixture, cardamom, confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Combine to make a soft dough.
- Add the citron, lemon juice and zest, ground almonds and raisins, mixing well.
- Knead for 10-15 minutes by hand or 5-7 minutes by machine. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour if necessary, so that the dough is not sticky.
- Form dough into a large bowl and let it rise, covered, until doubled. (Doughs rich in butter can take longer to rise, so be patient).
- Punch down and knead for two minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Heat oven to 350 deg.
- Form 10-12 balls from the dough and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the dough balls with the egg wash and bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Wonderful, delicious rolls! Not overly sweet and just lovely with the aroma and flavor of the cardamom. Mine did not rise much; I used light butter and I suspect that could be the reason - my dough was not at all sticky but did seem a little buttery. None the less, I ended up with a dozen rolls which were delightful served warm with butter. Thanks for sharing your recipe!