Recipe by duonyte
From about.com . These slightly sweet yeast rolls are blessed on Holy Saturday in the traditional zegen Easter basket and are served up on Easter morning.
Top Review by loof
Wonderful, delicious rolls! Not overly sweet and just lovely with the aroma and flavor of the cardamom. Mine did not rise much; I used light butter and I suspect that could be the reason - my dough was not at all sticky but did seem a little buttery. None the less, I ended up with a dozen rolls which were delightful served warm with butter. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1⁄3 cup warm milk
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 1⁄2-3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 12 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces candied citron peel
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3⁄4 cup ground almonds
- 2 cups light raisins or 2 cups dark raisins, soaked in warm water and drained
- 1 large egg yolk beaten with 1 tsp water
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix together the yeast, milk and 2 tbl sugar in a small bowl and let stand until bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, place 2 1/2 c flour, yeast mixture, cardamom, confectioners' sugar, butter, vanilla and salt. Combine to make a soft dough.
- Add the citron, lemon juice and zest, ground almonds and raisins, mixing well.
- Knead for 10-15 minutes by hand or 5-7 minutes by machine. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour if necessary, so that the dough is not sticky.
- Form dough into a large bowl and let it rise, covered, until doubled. (Doughs rich in butter can take longer to rise, so be patient).
- Punch down and knead for two minutes on a lightly floured surface.
- Heat oven to 350 deg.
- Form 10-12 balls from the dough and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Brush the tops of the dough balls with the egg wash and bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.