1/1 Photo of Slovak Christmas Mushroom Soup
2 hrs 15 mins
This is a family tradition to be made on Christmas Eve. If you love sauerkraut, you'll love this soup. Tart and delicious. Simple to make and smells heavenly. It can be very hard to find cans of straight sauerkraut juice, which is probably why it's such a coveted recipe and we only get it once a year. (if we're lucky enough to find the juice) This soup is supposed to bring you good luck for the upcoming new year! Happy cooking! *note: this is a handed down recipe and therefore I don't always have exact measurements, what is listed below is how my aunt and I made the recipe*
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 113.39 g package dried oyster mushrooms
- 113.39 g package dried shiitake mushrooms
- 226.79 g package white button mushrooms
- 7 (2778.25 g) can sauerkraut juice (more or less depending on how tart you want the soup)
- 473.18 ml water (or to taste)
- 340.19 g box tiny noodles (ex. Pastina or Acini di pepe)
- 59.14 ml butter
- 118.29 ml flour
- 2Remove dried mushrooms from packages and soak in water to re-hydrate.
- 3Wash button mushrooms and coarsely chop. Do the same with the re-hydrated mushrooms.
- 4Pour the kraut juice and water into a large pot. Add mushrooms. Bring to a boil and simmer for a minimum of two hours. (you can go longer)
- 5Cook pasta till al-dente and set aside.
- 6Once the soup has simmered for at least two hours, make the roux. Melt the butter in a small skillet. Add the flour. Cook until the flour has thickened and you have a nice blond-like color. Add the roux to the soup.
- 7You're done!
- 8How to serve:.
- 9Have pasta in one bowl and soup in another. Scoop some noodles into your bowl and add the broth on top. Oh, heaven in a bowl. Wishing you years of good luck! :).
Browse Our Top Mushroom Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Mushroom Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Slovak Christmas Mushroom Soup
Serving Size: 1 (138 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 296.3
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.1 mg
- Sodium 67.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 1.8 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: