Recipe by Christmas Carol
This sandwich is from one of my favorite cookbooks "Great Foods From Mom's Diner." It's a unique variation on the Sloppy Joe, so if you're bored with the same old sandwiches give this one a try! Since "Mom" owns the diner, she added a few unlikely (but delicious) ingredients and cleverly re-named it of course!
Top Review by SolightlyUK
This is so easy - I took the recipe with me when we booked self-catering accommodation on a holiday and knew I would only want to cook the quickest meals possible. It was delicious... I had to substitute crushed chillies for the pepper flakes and I made it pretty spicy to suit adult tastes. This spiciness combined with the peanut butter was an excellent and interesting combination. Thanks for sharing this unique recipe!
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons jif crunchy peanut butter
- 4 hamburger buns, lightly toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add sirloin and brown, breaking up with a fork as it cooks.
- Add onion, bell pepper, tomato, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Note; To peel tomato, plunge it into boiling water for 15 seconds and the skin will easily come off.
- Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until liquid is almost absorbed but mixture is still moist.
- Remove from heat and stir in the peanut butter.
- Serve on toasted hamburger buns.